Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Mabuhay Iligan!



                Iligan City or known to be called as "the city of magnificent waterfalls" is located in Northern Mindanao (Region X). It is about 81,337 hectares of land area which experiences short dry season and pours rainfall throughout the year.It has 44 barangays with a population of about 300,000 people more or less. It was declared as a city last June 16, 1950 under R.A 525. The city is the major source of electric power because of the known Maria Cristina Falls.
(photo taken during our field trip: Maria Cristina Falls)


               This city is bounded with 3 municipalities of Misamis Oriental on the north, 3 municipalities of Lanao del Norte and 2 municipalities of Lanao del Sur. It is the 2nd largest city following Malaybalay City, capital of Bukidnon. Iligan City is the Industrial Center of the South. It provides the hydroelectric power of the Mindanao region. It has different industries also such as steels, cement, tinplate and flourmills. On the west side of the city located the Iligan Bay which provides the sea and ferry transportation. (source: wikipedia.com)


              There are different means of going to Iligan. It can be through land (by a bus from Cagayan de Oro), sea (through shipping lines from Cebu, Manila, Oroquieta and Ozamis) and air transportation.


(source: Google.com "Iligan Cement Corporation")
     People in Iligan are Cebuano speaking because of course there major language is Cebuano. This people is compose of Maranao,  Tagalog and other cultural minorities and immigrants from other places. People in this city are so good, kind-hearted and very hospitable.


   This city is predominantly Christian in terms of religion. There patron saint Saint Michael whose fiesta is annually celebrated during the 29th day of September. There fiesta is very rich culture and very colorful.



                There are 181 schools in the city which compose of 106 publics, 75 private and 17 madrasah schools. One  of the most well-known school is the Mindanao State University - Iligan Institute Technology (MSU-IIT).


(photo grabbed from Google)

              This city is rich in tourist spots that's why it was called as "the city of magnificent waterfalls". But it is not waterfalls only that bring the fame of the city, it has also other kinds of tourist attraction other than those water spots.




(source: google.com)

ANAHAW OPEN AMPHITHEATER - this can be found at the Buhanginan hill in the southeastern part of city hall. It is probably the biggest amphitheater of Mindanao.






(source: google.com)



LIMUNSUDAN FALLS - this is claim as the country's highest waterfalls. It is 55 kilometers away from the city proper. It's magnificent two tiered falls, the lower cascade alone is higher than the 320 feet of Maria Cristina Falls. I haven't been there but soon I wish that I can.




(source: google.com)




MOUNT AGAD-AGAD - approximately 1,600 feet high above sea level, considered as the highest mountain in Iligan City; safe for trekking and mountain climbing. 5.5 kilometers away from the city proper. I've been there and It's so awesome especially in night time. You can witnessed the overview of the city and you will be amazed of it's beauty at the top of the said mountain.




                    All I can say is Iligan City is one of a kind place to go. I am now three months in my stay in this place. I do not discover the other beautiful tourist spots here yet but if given a chance I will visit all of them. Iligan is the best place to go where you can find the preserve nature. And because of this place, I am proud that I already visit this place, I am proud that I live in Mindanao, and I am proud to be a Filipino.






*An official entry to the Iligan Blogging Contest 2012*





















No comments:

Post a Comment